Photographic Workshop & Retreat in Ubud, BALI
with Jean Fogelberg
JUNE 4th - 13th, 2017
TWO PLACES FOR THIS WORKSHOP ARE NOW AVAILABLE - PLEASE CONTACT US DIRECTLY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED
Photography & Post-processing
For the novice digital photographer who wants to take their photography to the next level, a 10-day photography workshop in beautiful Ubud, Bali with instructor Jean Fogelberg. In this workshop, Jean will introduce/review the Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, and White Balance settings on your Digital SLR camera and how they affect your images. This, combined with post-processing instruction in Adobe Photoshop®, will enable you to fine tune your photos and start getting the professional looking results you always dreamed you were capable of. Topics covered will include:
- Aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance settings
- The basics of composition
- Using a tripod, flash, reflectors, and diffusers
- Introduction to Photoshop CC®
- How to adjust exposure and color
- Converting photos to black & white
- Photo Montages
- Mirrored Landscapes
- Photo Paintings
- Night shots
- Action shots
- Abstract Still Lifes
- Creating a custom watermark for your images
Abstract Still Lifes
CLICK HERE FOR PREVIOUS WORKSHOP TESTIMONIALS
To balance out the intensive photography workshop, several complimentary yoga and meditation classes will be offered in the hall, and you will receive two 1-hour spa sessions, (choice of massage, foot reflexology pedicure, or facial). Our massage therapists are the best in the area, and they alone have exclusive access to our spa facilities.
Additional spa treatments are available, at very affordable rates, just ask Evelyn or Ilhu and they will book them for you. The more notice you can give us for this the better, and please check the class schedule closely when you are booking your appointments so there are no overlaps and you have time to prepare for your spa session.
There are 2 massage rooms and an outdoor spa area on site, although you will also have the option of having your massage in your room.
Daily breakfast and most lunches are included, provided by our on-site restaurant. We will provide fresh, healthy meals to feed our bodies and brains, made using organic produce from our gardens, local growers, and a local free range rancher.
Click here to see menu.
Lunch is not provided on our 2 days off, and 2 dinners are included with the workshop.
For dinner, we'll dine together at one of the wonderful local restaurants (not included in workshop price; participants are responsible for most of their own dinners and beverages). Some people may need alone time after the intensive work we will be doing, and there is always the option of ordering food from our on-site restaurant and eating in your room.
Participation in group meals or free day activities is at your discretion.
Balinese coffee and tea will be included in the mornings, plus iced tea or juice with lunch. Specialty coffees, such as espresso will be available for an additional cost, we will have a separate menu for these.
We have an on-site warung and menu available. If you wish to order different or additional items you are welcome to do so, and these can be charged to your room and paid for at check-out.
We will be staying at Hati Suci, a beautiful compound/village nestled between the rice fields and jungle near the village of Bayak. The property has an open air meeting hall, two saltwater pools, koi ponds, gardens, and 15 rooms. All rooms are private with en-suite bathrooms, and all have safes and refrigerators. Some have full kitchen and bathtubs. To be fair to everyone we will be allocating the rooms on a 1st sign-up basis.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE PROPERTY PHOTOS
Day trips to amazing locations, local events, and shopping will keep our feet on the ground. We will include a trip to see a traditional Balinese dance performance.
On the Full Moon we will attend a Temple Ceremony and Ritual Bathing at one of the oldest temples in Bali.
Of course a great photo op, and we will have staff on hand to keep your camera equipment safe and dry.
There is a local produce market once every 3 days that starts around 4 am. We will make a sunrise trip there one day. This is another wonderful photo-op, and there are usually spectacular sunrise views of the volcano on the way.
On the days off there will be plenty of shopping opportunities or a chance to go to the beach.
We can also arrange trips to some of the most renowned and authentic traditional healers (Balians) on the island.
When the weather permits, we will begin with a Sunrise Shoot (optional - we respect the late risers among us),
then we'll get together for breakfast before starting classes.
Sunrise - Coffee/Tea + Sunrise Shoot
9:00 - Breakfast
10:00 - Class
12:00 - Lunch
1:00 - Class | Photo Excursions
5:00 - Yoga | Meditation | Spa time | Free time - shoot, swim, shop, nap
7:00 - Dinner
Night shots arranged according to weather.
Class and excursion schedules aren't set in stone -
they will be arranged to fit opportunities, weather,
and the wishes and needs of the workshop participants.
Photography Workshop Itinerary
- June 3 - Arrivals, meet for inclusive introductory dinner
- June 4 - Full class day | 5pm Yoga Class
- June 5 - Sunrise Shoot | Full class day |Sunset Meditation
- June 6 - Sunrise Shoot | Half class day | Photo Excursion
- June 7 - Free day | 5pm Yoga Class
- June 8 - Sunrise Shoot | Full class day | Sunset Meditation
- June 9 - Sunrise Shoot | Full class day | Full Moon Temple Ceremony | Tampak Siring Ritual Bathing
- June 10 - Half class day | Photo Excursion
- June 11 - Free day. Optional Trips to Traditional Healers or the Beach
- June 12 - Full class day. Late Afternoon Visit to Sebatu Healing Temple
- June 13 - Half class day | excursion & final dinner, with dance performance by local children
- June 14 - Depart.
Optional trip to Borobudur Temple for those wishing to continue shooting with Jean while experiencing an entirely different part of Indonesia. Cost for Borobudur is $650 per person double occupancy at the hotel, or $725 per person single occupancy, and includes all transportation (vans, flights), 2 breakfasts, entrance to the temples, and guides fees. Click here for more details about the Borobudur trip.
Borobudur Trip Itinerary:
- June 14 - Depart Denpasar airport in the morning for Yogyakarta. Air conditioned van to hotel Saraswati (easy walking distance to temple), relax, wander, shop, eat, sleep.
- June 15 - Sunrise at Borobudur temple, 2 hour tour, photo taking (sunrise and tour optional, you are free to wander on your own). Breakfast at hotel, relax, wander, lunch, then van back to Yogyakarta at 2:30. Free time to shop the wonderful street market then dinner at 5:30. 7:10 van back to Yogyakarta airport to catch the 8:20 pm flight to Denpasar airport to go our separate ways.
INCLUDED IN THE WORKSHOP PACKAGE:
Full tuition with Jean for 8 days
Printed class materials
11 Breakfasts, 8 Lunches & 2 Dinners
Two 1-hour spa treatments
Yoga and meditation classes
Ground transportation between the airport and Rahasia Manis,
if arrival in Bali is within 3 days of the beginning and ending of the programme.
Limited taxi shuttle service between the centre and Ubud (about a 20 minute drive).
10% service charge for the staff, plus 10% Government Tax are included in this price.
Travel expenses and most dinners are the responsibility of the workshop participant.
We are happy to assist in any way we can with travel arrangements.
In order to give everyone personalized attention we are limiting this workshop to 12 participants.
Equipment you will need to bring with you for the workshop
1. A digital SLR camera with a mode dial with Manual and Automatic settings.
Don't forget to bring your battery charger. (Click here to see an example of a good beginner's DSLR - the Nikon D3200, or here to get the Nikon D3200 bundled with two lenses that will cover your wide to zoom lens needs.)
2. Recommended but not required - standard (50mm), zoom (200mm), and wide angle (24mm) lenses, or one wide angle to zoom lens (18-200mm). If buying new, be sure to check that the lens will work with your make/model of camera. You can bring just one lens if you want to, it won't affect the classes, but it will limit your photographic options.
3. A laptop with Adobe Photoshop CC software ($9.99 a month for the Photography Plan) installed.
4. A memory card with at least 32GB capacity. Be sure to get the right kind for your camera - either a Flash Memory Card or a CompactFlash Memory Card.
5. A built-in or plug-in memory card reader.
6. A backpack for your gear. If you don't have one, click here for a good, inexpensive one.
7. A tripod, small/light enough to pack in your suitcase for travel. If you don't have one, click here for a good, inexpensive one.
8. Highly recommended, but not required, a pen tablet.
REGISTER FOR THIS WORKSHOP
The following penalties will apply on all cancellations:
Minimum fee $500 per person
31-75 days prior to workshop - 50% of package price
0-30 days prior to workshop - 100% of package price.
JEAN FOGELBERG IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY LOGISTICAL ASPECTS OF THE PROGRAMME, AND CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS REGARDING THE WORKSHOP CONTENT ITSELF. For all other questions, please contact Evelyn Roberts.